Saturday, March 1, 2014

Middle Earth from low orbit

I have a fondness for imaginary places. I even have the book. So I naturally have a weakness for maps of them. They add to the realism of the place. Now a company has created shots of Middle Earth from low orbit. Believe it. One of those entirely pointless pursuits I enjoy so much.

It took time to recognize land formations from the books.

Check them out. More at WIRED.


Looking towards the Misty Mountains (centre, top). Isengard then is at the bottom of the mountain range. I think Fangorn forest is to the right of it. Looks convincing.
This is looking down, from the north, at Mordor (left) and Gondor (right). Sam and Frodo would have entered Mordor through the circle area in the mountain range at bottom centre.

The texture map
Upper West Mordor is the triangle (centre right), apparently covered in snow. Hard to tell from spaaaace.



No comments:

Post a Comment